Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Project 1

I believe the saying every cloud has a silver lining. To truly believe in such a statement a person has to see the world for what is in an optimistic perspective. Not to say these people are oblivious to any challenging situation, ignorant to common emotions of fear or worry but to recognize the good which can come from the bad, the dawn after the dusk and the silver lining.

As an eighth grade student it was hard for me to take any sort of belief into my life except for the belief of being accepted. Short, overweight and awkward my only real ambition was to be cool and popular alongside with my equally as blessed counterparts Tom and Christien. Together we unknowingly made a brotherhood of who threw rocks at each at lunch time, bought water bottles merely to throw on the girls and held our own fear factors to see who could eat the most bugs. Yes we were your typical non- athletic, talented kids who stood out for our utter weirdness.

One day after lunch we went to the bathroom to clean up after a good rock war. “BAM”, aloud smacking noise went off followed by laughing. While I was washing my battle wounds it kept going off.

“Hey man what’s that sound?” I asked the ever so puzzled looking Tom.

“I dunno dude but let’s check it out”, he replied. With the return of nod we all made our way to the back of the bathroom stalls. The sound was the aftermath of fists and feet colliding with the wooden door followed by the laughter of fellow classmates. I refer to them as my classmates but in reality they looked far to mature to be compared to us. Fuzzy like hair wrapped around the opening lips of the guy in middle, which bellowed out, “ Aye, watch’u looking at?”

As if this was the beacon to lead me to popularity, I seized the moment with a witty comeback. “Nothing much, you wimps punch like girls. Lemme show you how it’s done.”

“Ok, chubby checker go ahead make a hole in the door if you’re so bad.” In my head I thought this would be the perfect chance to show what I have. I looked over my shoulder to see my friends’ responses but they were nowhere to be seen. Alone I felt, a lamb with a pack of wolves, I had no support. Fist clenched I approached the door examining it for any weakness I could find. Ah there a crack, obviously where those ogres’ fists had struck it before. Without hesitation I cocked my arm back ready and loaded, a split second I pulled the trigger and fired my entire arm through the wooden door. Amazed at my own work I looked back waiting for praise for art of destruction. Nothing, except for a shove out of the way as they rushed to open the hole even wider using their fists and feet as tools. The adrenaline had worn off and I had realized what I did, all I could do was bolt away presumably in the same fashion as my loyal friends.
Weeks had passed from that incident and the memories had left my mind. Everyone was excited for the upcoming trip planned for next week, a weekend class trip staying at one of the sister islands. All the preparations were set, the class raised the money through bake sales and car washes all we had to do was wait one week. Then while discussing who was going to get shaving cream on them at night, the intercom spoke, “ Will Christopher Duty please report to the principal’s office.”

My heart sank and I could feel stomach trying to squirm out of my body. I rose from seat and walked to the door slowly stalked by whispers from other classmates at the back of heels. I had the same questions, my mind was blank, and I had no idea what I could have done wrong. The two minute walked seemed like ten before I had reached the principles chair. It was nerve racking, I could barely find the strength to raise my eyes towards her.

“Chris do you know what you have done?” she asked but no sooner then she finished her question , she answered it for me, “ I’ve been informed that you broke down a bathroom door with a couple of boys.”

It had all made sense now and my hidden fear had been revived. “Yes, ma’am I did.” As I responded I could feel my eyes start to glaze over.

“I’ve called your parents and informed them of your situation. Because you neglected to come and tell me about this like the other three boys, I cannot give you the benefit they have received of a two day interschool suspension. You will have four day external suspension and lose your rights to go on your class trips.” All of this said she kept her composure without raising her voice and keeping calm. I admired and feared that aspect about, it was almost robotic.

Day four of my suspension I had many thoughts running through my mind while walking the dog along the beach. I missed the greatest weekend with my friends to try and impress people who would essentially sell me out. What makes jerks like them cool and why does something like this have to happen to me. Head down, heavily weighed because of my thoughts I could only see the ground. A large green lump stopped me in my tracks, I could barely see the tightly wrapped rubber band around it. My heart finally found the strength to rise again as unwrapped this bundle. Sprinting I rushed back to my house and locked myself in room. I sat and counted for about an hour to finally conclude that I had stumbled across one thousand dollars. Not knowing of any dangers of such large amounts a kept this new reward with a grin on my face. I believed that my dark cloud was clearing with this chance of fate being my silver lining.

No comments: