Monday, October 20, 2008

The Maker's Eye: Revising Your Own Manuscripts

1. When revising my first draft of Project 1 i can look at each step and try to apply them to my story. When looking at the information in my story I decided to use an alternate means of telling the story by giving little bits of information, piece by piece for the reader find out as the read. The information i used was personal and true events so it was a retelling of a past event that I found myself quite interesting. When looking at the perspective of the audience I think that the way I layed out the story was a little confusing. Jumping back and forth between time in each paragraph. When relating this to the structor of the manuscript it seems very muddled. The tense in which each paragraph is written does not support the time periods which I am trying to project. In development I think there may not be enough information for the reader to assume the final conclusion of the story on their own without asking questions. The Voice of my story seems to be present giving each situation enough detail to clearly map what is going on the readers mind.

2. After reading the essay I think I would make serval changes to makeit easier to understand. Firstly I would like to keep the structure of the easy jumping back and forth between different times but maybe with a larger word count I could expand each situation making it easier for the reader to follow. Enabling me to expand the essay i can also add more information which would lead to more development in coming to the conclusion of the story yet still leaving some sort of mystery to it. Another thing I would change is the tense situation, clearly defining punctuation that will let the reader understand what point in time they are reading.

3. I think with quoting from other authors gives the writing another dimension. He is reinforcing his own views by using these authors' quotes which are similar to his own so it doesnt seem so much of opinion but more fatual. Compiling quotations relieves the reader from the same monotonous essay and also gives the reader an idea of where the auther may have got their own theroies and opinions from.

No comments: